03/12 My view of Maria Shriver

Friday, December 3, 2010; 9:03 PM

The Nov. 2 Style article about Maria Shriver, "Signing off and moving on," egregiously misquoted me. The reporter used only part of my quote. As a result, the meaning of my comment was turned into the exact opposite of what I said.

The reporter, Manuel Roig-Franzia, wrote: "She 'eats people up and spits them out,' says Shriver's friend, Jillian Manus, a high-octane literary agent and a guiding light of the 'Broad Squad' of successful women."

What I said to Mr. Roig-Franzia was, "There are women who eat people up and spit them out . . . she [Maria Shriver] is not one of them. This is why the Women's Conference is so valuable to women. It is a place where women come together to support and elevate each other."

Not only does the misrepresentation of what I said personally offend me, as I would never speak so disrespectfully of any woman, but it also characterized Maria Shriver as a kind of person she has never been. She is a close friend whom I deeply admire on every level. As first lady of California, she has worked tirelessly to empower women. She is one of the most caring human beings I know, and she treats all people with respect.

I am horrified that my words were manipulated. The experience has caused me great pain and has violated my trust in The Post.

Jillian Manus, Atherton, Calif.

No comments:

Post a Comment